MPs demand compensation for persons affected by road works

The Deputy Speaker, Jacob Oulanyah has tasked the Minster for Works and Transport to study a petition by residents of Kagarama Town Council, Ntungamo District over pending compensation to persons affected by the Ntungamo-Kagamba Road Construction Project.

“I direct that this petition be extracted and forwarded to the Minister for Works, who shall study it and report to the House on Wednesday, 22 May 2019 about the state of payment” Oulanyah said.

The Deputy Speaker made the directive on Thursday, 16 May 2019 after Kajara County MP Michael Timuzigu, presented a petition which urged Parliament to investigate the compulsory acquisition of land in Kagarama Town Council by the Road Agency Formation Unit, for purposes of constructing the Ntungamo-Kagamba road without compensating them.

According to the petition, Government carried out an evaluation of properties belonging to the residents of Kagarama Town Council who would be directly affected by the road works but that no compensation had been made.

“Your humble petitioners have further sought the intervention of the Resident District Commissioner, Ntungamo District….and the Ministry of Works and Transport to no avail,” reads the petition in part.

Hon. Ibrahim Ssemujju (FDC, Kira Municipality) called on Government to come out and explain why claimants of land compensation have not been paid even when Government recognises them as legitimate claimants.

Mitooma district Woman MP, Hon. Jovah Kamateeka said that many other Ugandans across the country had not received compensation for their land taken for road works, pointing out residents living along the Ishaka-Mitooma road.

“Some people have been compensated for road works on their land while others have not. Government should be interested in finding out all these cases,” said Kamateeka.

State Minister for Finance, Hon. David Bahati committed to follow up on compensations for persons affected by road works, and give an adequate response accordingly.

“Compensations by Government are channelled through the office of the Attorney General, and if the Chief Government Valuer has done their work, the compensations will be budgeted for and paid” Bahati said.