Uganda Parliamentary Forum on Sustainable Development Goals replacing Millennium Development Goals was formed in 2007 during the 8th Parliament with an aim of ensuring that Uganda realizes the Millennium Development Goals (MDGs). The eight MDGs – which range from halving extreme poverty rates to halting the spread of HIV/AIDS and providing universal primary education, all by the target date of 2015 – formed a blueprint agreed to by all the world’s countries and the entire world’s leading development institutions.
As the MDGs era came to a conclusion with the end of the year 2015, 2016 ushered in the official launch of the bold and transformative 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development adopted by world leaders. In 2016 therefore, the world officially began implementation of the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development—the transformative plan of action based on 17 Sustainable Development Goals—to address urgent global challenges over the next 15 years.
Accordingly, and in line with the post-2015 development agenda, the Uganda Parliamentary Forum on Millennium Development Goal changed to Uganda Parliamentary Forum on Sustainable Development Goals. The seventeen Sustainable Development Goals are new to the majority of Ugandans. Members of the 10th Parliament passed a Resolution to reaffirm the role of Parliament in the implementation of the Sustainable Development Goals, Some of the resolutions are;
- The administration of Parliament shall allocate resources to build the capacity of members of parliament to effectively participate in the implementation of the SDGS,
- Parliament commits to effectively engage its constituents on the 2030 Agenda for sustainable Development to contribute to their knowledge about and ownership of the objectives and purpose of Agenda.
- The Parliament commends Government for adopting the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development as the blue print.
- The Minister for finance, planning and Economic Development shall present together with the annual budget estimates, statement showing how the SDGS have been integrated in the annual budget estimates.
- The Minister for finance, planning and Economic Development shall annually report on the progress of the implementation of the SDGS.
The Uganda Parliamentary Forum on Sustainable Development Goals has a Vision, Mission, Goal and Objectives.
A Uganda that has achieved all the Sustainable Development Goals
To improve the quality of the lives for all Ugandans
Live of Ugandans enhanced through progressive government policies, legislation and resource allocation for the Sustainable Development Goals’ interventions.
Objectives of UPSDGs;
- To ensure that National Policies and legislation on SDGs are implemented
- To advocate for adequate for National Resource allocation for SDGs
- To monitor for the appropriate utilization of resources allocated for SDGs interventions
- To ensure that the Central, Local authorities and communities work towards achieving SDGs
- To Strengthen UPSDGs Secretariat to realize it mission, goal and objectives.
For more information, Networking, Partnership and any other business related to SDGs please contact us on;
Tel:+256414377710/ Mobile +256782854030/+256772681904